STEAM: We are hiring!steam
DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING, COMPUTER ENGINEERING, AND INFORMATICS, CYPRUS UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGYΟne (1) part-time Research Fellow position (Postdoctoral Researcher) in the field of “Data-driven Modeling of the Maritime Environment”
Applications are invited from candidates who possess the necessary qualifications in order to fill one (1) part-time Research Fellow position (Postdoctoral Researcher) at the Department of Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering and Informatics in the field of “Data-driven Modeling of the Maritime Environment”, funded under the Cyprus Research and Innovation Foundation Program “Maritime Cognitive Decision Support System”.
The successful applicant will be responsible for developing data-driven models of human and natural environment activity based on real-time maritime data. These can involve simple tasks like measuring the sea pollution or counting the fishing stock, to more complex machine-learning models such as predicting the effect of sea pollution on the fishing stock, or computing sea surface currents and using these to predict the ship’s estimated time of arrival and the spreading of oil spills. The goal is to both provide a realistic representation of the maritime environment and efficiently utilize agile information acquisition to deliver greater levels of situational awareness and improved decision-making.
The postdoc is also expected to work seamlessly with the other partners participating in the program towards the preparation of deliverables according to the deadlines as set by the program. The selected applicant should also be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, as well as good knowledge of information processing, machine learning, and environmental monitoring. Most importantly, the selected applicant is expected to be able to produce high-caliber research output.
Applicants should have:
- BSc, MSc and PhD degrees (or equivalent) from a recognized university in one or a combination of the following fields of study: Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related fields.
- Programming experience in some programming language
- Good knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
The following will be considered as an advantage:
- Prior experience in maritime technologies and / or modeling of physical processes
- Prior research experience or specialization in a related field
- Prior participation in funded national or European research programs
The appointment will be for a period of twelve (12) months with the prospect of renewal. The monthly cost of employment (program budget) will be € 2298,00. From this amount all legal employer and employee contributions will be deducted. The monthly gross salary, based on the legislation currently into effect, is € 2000,00. There is provision for 13th salary (the cost of the 13th salary has been proportionally incorporated in the monthly remuneration as analyzed above).
Applicants are requested to submit the following:
- A cover letter with which they will express their interest for the job opening and state clearly the date they can take over responsibilities
- A summary of their research experience and future research goals (up to two (2) pages)
- A complete curriculum vitae (in English or/and in Greek)
- A copy of a representative publication
- Transcripts for the BSc, MSc, and PhD degrees
- Proof of qualifications
- The names and contact information of two people who are willing to provide references
- Complete contact information
Applications must be sent via email at: HRecruits@cut.ac.cy with the subject: “Application for Research Fellow (Postdoctoral Researcher) Position in Data-driven Modeling of the Maritime Environment – Department of Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering and Informatics” no later than Friday, September 25, 2020, which is the deadline for the submission of the applications.
It is noted that:
- The University adopts an equal opportunity policy at recruitment and the subsequent career stages and encourages both genders to submit an application for all levels of Academic and Administrative Staff.
- The University does not discriminate in any way on the basis of gender, religion or belief, ethnic, national or social origin, age, physical ability, marital status and sexual orientation.
Deadline for application submission: 25/09/2020